IGNITE THE SPARK
The Para-Alpine Gliding Start stage can be entered at any time. Some individuals may have been born with a congenital disability, while others may have acquired their disabilities later in life. Regardless of the origin of their ability or disability, Canadians who pursue sport and physical activity deserve to have a pathway to help them achieve their goals, whether they pursue excellence and high performance or simply aim to be active for life.
- Boys 1-6
- Girls 1-6
- Snow Stars Level 1 - 3
- No formalized competition
Age of experience:
0-2 yrs with the First Contact made with local CADS club or adaptive ski organization.
- Teach the basic elements of skiing.
- Encourage and create a fun environment.
- Basic stance and balance.
- Basic mobility (moving and balancing with equipment.)
- Balancing on skis (with adaptive equipment where required).
- Sliding on snow.
- Straight running on a gentle slope.
- Stopping (terrain assisted, straight, then single turn to a stop).
- Basic linked turns.
Note: Skill focus is on stance and balance, and basic pivoting skills. Edging is introduced not actively but as a result of maintaining stance and balance while pivoting the ski on beginner terrain.