Learn to Train
LEARN THE SPORT
In this stage, skiers are introduced to more formalized ski race training through a learn to race program. Including exposure to different snow and terrain conditions.
- Boys 9 -12
- Girls 8 - 11
- Club Level
- Local & Zone racing
- Limited provincial racing
- Stage ends with start of adolescent growth period
Age of experience:
- 2 to 6 years
- Primary responsibility starts to shift from CADS & independent learn-to-ski programs to the local race programs/clubs (able-bodied and/or adaptive programs).
- CADS programs, local race programs and PSOs initiate talent identiﬁcation.
- Fundamentals of ski tuning introduced.
- Loads and unloads lift independently.
- Reﬁning balance and coordination movements.
- Correct use of pole plant or adaptive turning device.
- Comfortable skiing on intermediate terrain with some introduction /exposure to advanced terrain.
- Understanding of how to adjust turn shape relative to pitch and snow conditions and also to desired speed.
- Understands basic concept of carving (idea of adjusting turn shape by increasing/ decreasing the edge angle).
- Exposure to and basic understanding of Slalom and Giant Slalom and how to ski them.
- Introduction to speed event elements.